I found this recipe a while back in a slow cooker recipe book. It was good, but not great.
I made it to the recipe in the book and then quickly set to the task of breaking it down and making it something better. After changing a few things and adding a few others, this is amazing.
It’s easy, so flavorful you’ll moan with pleasure with every bite and the slow cooker leaves the chicken breast so juice and tender that it still blows my mind. No lie.
A Few Notes On The Recipe
It’s becoming increasingly harder to buy organic farm grazed, non caged or injected with hormones chicken. Sometimes you can find it at Costco or Whole Foods. I only recommend buying chicken that has been humanely raised, treated, fed and isn’t polluted with hormones, additive or anything else they are injecting to chickens these day. Because it’s getting harder and harder to find this, I’m beginning to eat less and less chicken. It may be that we stop eating chicken altogether, because it’s getting that bad.
Sometimes cans of tomato paste comes with Italian herbs already in the paste itself. I would try either these or a can of just plane tomato paste. The more flavor the better, though you won’t need it with this recipe. This is likely the most important ingredient to this recipe, second only to the chicken. DO NOT use tomato sauce. It HAS to be paste.
This recipe is enough to make 2-3 chicken breasts. However, I only make two at a time because you only want one layer of chicken at the bottom of the slow cooker and not to overlap them.
Finally, I love this with some fluffy jasmine rice to carry more of this Pomodoro sauce on a fork. A little green salad finishes it off perfectly.
(A pomodoro sauce is really just a very simple tomato sauce, but this won’t taste simple at all… seriously, it’s a flavor explosion.)
- 1 medium organic yellow onion chopped
- 6 finely chopped cloves of garlic
- 6 oz of tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/3 C heavy cream
- 2 – 3 organic skinless breasts of chicken
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese (enough to cover each breast)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the onion, garlic, tomato paste, oregano and pepper flakes in a bowl and microwave for 5 minutes.
- Set the slow cooker to low, and add the cream and olive oil inside, then adding the onion mixture fresh from the microwave and mixing it all together until it’s well blended.
- Place the chicken breasts in one layer with no overlap in the sauce and add salt and pepper to the top of it all.
- Leave in the slow cooker for 90 minutes and then flip the chicken breasts. Slow cook for another 90 minutes.
- Cover breasts with grated parmesan, change heat to high and slow cook for another 15 – 20 minutes until cheese melts and sauce bubbles.
- When done, place breasts on plate and pour a ladle full of sauce over the chicken breast, pair with rice and serve.
- Can be garnished with chopped basil or parsley.