We all talk about the importance of buying organic produce and its almost just a forgone assumption, even though you may not know exactly why its important. The sad truth is that we are living in a world where more and more, our food is harming us and degrading the over all health of our bodies and our planet. This is why we need to invest our money in organic foods. For a bigger breakdown keep reading.
1. Being Biophilic. What is that you ask? The term “biophilia” literally means “love of life or living systems.” And to extend that further, loving life and its systems means honoring the fact that the vegetables, fruits and even meats we consume have their own perfection already wired into its genetic make up. There is an intelligence to how it exists and propagates itself and to tamper with that, with poisons that pollute the planet and tax our immune systems is in direct violation to the life we hold so dear.
2. Good Health. Along those lines, and on a more personal level, our bodies need fresh clean food to thrive. Every time we ingest genetically modified produce that has been washed in pesticides, along with meat that has been injected with hormones and antibiotics, we tax our liver, our immune systems and continue to weaken our overall state of health. Not to mention that its my belief all of this just ages us faster.
3. Support the environment. The pesticides (most of which are carcinogenics) used in conventional farming is polluting over half of the drinkable water in the United States. Through genetic modification, fruit and vegetable plants are being created that are seedless as well as seeds that can only produce once then die. This is about profit, but its also about destroying the biodiversity of our planet, and quite frankly diminishing food sources to the point where we’ll not have much in several decades. And then there is the meat industry, with its obscene treatment of animals and over population in barns and warehouses. The pollution from farmed meat practices is frightening at best. Go out and watch Food, Inc.
4. The Politic Of Money. Sadly organic food tends to be more expensive. The reasons for this are varied, but if you go to your local farmers market chances are you’ll get organic produce and sometimes meat for very low prices. The added bonus to this is that you then also support locally farmed food. And this is critical on a political level. At the end of the day, we vote with our money. The less money we spend on conventionally grown foods, the bigger the statement is heard. We are NOT ok with the poisoning of our food supply for the sake of a handful of corporations getting wealthy. Everyday, our independent small organic farmers are fighting a battle to stay afloat due to lack of income and bullying by massive companies like Monsanto. They need our support, and we need the food they are providing us. Vote with your money.
5. Vibrant rich flavors. Have you ever grown your own tomato? No pesticides, loads of love and a bright shining sun that seems to magically call it forth from the ground? Unadulterated fruits and vegetables are so much better in flavor and in their capacity to nourish out bodies. Its really about the fact that internally, they are made up of elements our bodies can read and translate into nutrition. They aren’t marred by poisons, just 100% real and whole. When we cook with them, bite into them… you can taste the unique flavor and you can taste the vibrant life force coursing through it. Real clean organic food is amazing in flavor and benefit to our bodies and the earth. Why would you want anything less for yourself and your family?
If you want to buy organic but have a hard time with the prices at the market, find a farmer’s market near you. The link can help you with that!