I’m noticing how challenging this new schedule has become for me and for having dinner in the evening together. And by challenging I mean, that it hasn’t lent itself to some sort of orderly routine. In Maui, I had finally struck gold for myself in the daily schedule department. Waking up at 5AM I had 2 hours each morning to do my morning practices, eat breakfast and set the course of the day. It also started my meal eating early on in the day so that by 5PM Jon and I both were ready to start dinner.
It should be noted here as well that because we were in Maui and affectedly 3-6 hours earlier than anyone else, his business calls started VERY early in the morning for him. We were both up and starting our days quite early and after a lifetime of thinking I was a night owl, I discovered that 5AM magically gave me a long battery of energy for the day. But it also allowed for a consistent routine.
Here in DR, we are currently 1 hour ahead of EST. His calls don’t start until 1-2PM. And though I can certainly still get up at 5AM, my husband has taken to lingering in bed until 9 reading and we have establish a hard to break patter of tangling our legs and arms while reading our devices. Cuddle time is a serious drug, you guys!
All that to say that breakfast is around 10AM, lunch is around 4, and dinner isn’t happening consistently or at all. Food here is a bit heavy and two meals seem enough most of the time. I suppose I can just let this be what it is, but I was so attached and in love with the idea of keeping a dinner diary that it’s a bit frustrating.
We have another 21/2 weeks left here in DR. After this we head to Pennsylvania for 2 weeks for a conference and some time with dear friends. The Dusings have a son and traditional work/school lives, which I’m counting on to get us on an earlier routine. We’ll see.
- November 9, 2015 – Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic – We skipped dinner. Having eaten lunch super late (3:30PM) we simply weren’t hungry. Both of us had a heavy lunch with a hearty serving of Mofongo at the local eatery. Delicious but uber heavy!
- November 10, 2015 – Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic – Penne, Garlic Basil Red Sauce and Garlic sautéed broccoli
- November 11, 2015 – Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic – Skipped dinner. We ate a late lunch and just cruised through the evening.
- November 12, 2015 – Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic – Had another late lunch and opted for Jon getting an Empanada across the street and I grabbed an order of fries from the place downstairs
- November 13, 2015 – Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic – Rice, beans, huge slices of avocado with olive oil and sea salt
- November 14, 2015 – Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic – Cafe Cinema – We shared a hearty plate of Nachos with beans, cheese, veggies, and my half of the plate had grilled chicken. Yum.
- November 15, 2015 – Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic – Last meal at Ki Sushi Bar. Jon had a Sushi roll combo and I had white rice, lentils and fried plantains. Sometimes you need to return to basics!
Leave a Reply