Jon and I had planned on inviting a small group of friends over for brunch. On Saturday, I sent out the evites, went shopping, and put together a menu. Then sometime Saturday evening, Jon comes to me and points out that the evite said the brunch was on the 29th NOT the 22nd! Oi!
We had a good laugh and basically shrugged at the amount of food in the refrigerator. It certainly left me with quite a bit of choices for our own Frittata when I finally got out of bed the next day and although we were a bit bummed that our friends weren’t with us yet, it was a perfect Sunday none the less.
I’m enjoying the ease I’m experiencing, now that I have the basics down for myself. The oven temperature works, the amount of eggs, the size dish I’m using and the amount of veggies to throw in are all almost rote for me. It allows room to experiment in other areas and I’m having fun with that. What I use is dictated by what I have on hand which is whatever we got from the CSA that week. Makes me wonder how these will change over time as we are very much in Summer squash season.
Zucchini, Leeks And Cilantro Frittata
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 small sliced leek, white part only
- 1 local organic zucchini, quartered and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 bundle of cilantro, chopped coarsely
- 1/3 cup of grated cheddar/jack cheese mix
- salt & pepper to taste
- 10 eggs, beaten
- Grated Cotija cheese – enough to cover the to sprinkle over the entire dish just before placing in the oven
- Perfectly ripe avocado
1. Preheat oven at 400.
2. Pour all the ingredients except for the cotija cheese into a 9×9 oven safe dish, like my CorningWare 9×9 Casserole Dish
3. Mix it all evenly.
4. Grate the Cotija cheese over the top of the mixture, this will give it a lovely brown top with a savory flavor.
5. Cover it with foil and place in the oven covered for 25 minutes, then uncover it and leave in the over for another 15-25 minutes depending on your oven.
6. Check on it. Every oven is different. Your frittata will rise and firm up. I test mine by gently placing a fork in the center to see if it comes out dry and it’s browned to satisfaction on top. This is a matter of preference.
7. Serve with some delectable sliced avocados!