A couple of nights ago, Jon and I were invited to attend a drumming circle/kirtan at our friends’ home. It was to be a vegetarian potluck and being that it was snowing something crazy outside, I thought a soup would be perfect. Not only is soup warming, but there is such a nurturing vibe to stirring a pot of soup for a group of people.
This recipe is simple, delicious and so earthy. I love that its made up of root vegetables. There is something wonderfully symbolic about the strength of roots during the harsh cold Winter months. They sustain, nourish and anchor the plants they hold up, and I believe our bodies when we ingest them as well.
This recipe is easy and highly modifiable. There are so many root veggies out there you can add or replace the others with. Have fun with it!
Winter Root Vegetable Soup
- 3 Tbs extra virgin organic olive oil plus more for drizzling
- 2 large shallots finely diced
- 3/4 cup dry wine
- 5 large cloves of garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 medium carrots cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1 large yukon gold potato, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 2 medium parsnips cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 4 cups organic low sodium vegetable broth
- 12 Italian parsley sprigs
- 8 fresh thyme sprigs
- 10 oz fresh or organic frozen shelled peas
- 3 cups lightly packed kale, chiffonade
- 2 Tbs. fresh tarragon leaves for garnish
1. Heat oil in large pot over medium high heat. Throw in shallots and garlic and saute for around 2 minutes.
2. Add wine, and cayenne and simmer for 4 minutes
3. Add carrots, potato, parsnips and saute for 1 minute. Then add broth and 5 cups of water. Tie together the parsley springs and thyme with kitchen twine and add to the soup.
4. Season with salt and pepper if needed and cover to bring to a boil. Once done reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Stir in peas and kale an simmer for another 10 minutes.
6. Remove herb bundle and discard. Ladle soup into bowls and drizzle with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle tarragon on top.
This recipe serves 8.
male sex pills says
Very good, have a healthy future, let's keep the movement and management, I believe tomorrow will be able to live even more beautiful!
Mmmmm… this sounds like the perfect way to use all the veggies my friend just gave me. Thanks for sharing!